Great Sand Dunes Hot Springs Adventure Ride
July 26-28 ’24 – Great Sand Dunes Adventure
3 Day Adventure Ride to the Great Sand Dunes Hot Springs and the Arkansas River.
The Great Sand Dunes Loop is a spectacular 3 Day 500+ mile Adventure loop.
- That doesn’t just take you down the Highway to get there.
- Day 1 the loop visits old mining towns, railroad stops and takes little used dirt roads on a circuitous route from the Colorado Springs Airport to overnight at the Sand Dunes Hot Springs.
On Day 1 there is a Challenging route over a 10k Medano foot pass, into the back of the Sand Dunes.
Or you could ride an easier Alternate loop from Silvercliffe and avoid Medano Pass entirely.
- Ride over Pass Creek Pass and La Veta Passes and avoid the sand all-together.
On Day 2 ride over 4 Passes on a semi Challenging off-road loop to the Big Bend of the Arkansas River.
Or on Day 2 ride over 5 passes on a easier loop. (2 passes paved) to the river via the Highest Pass on Hwy 50.
- The easier loop is longer and possibly more scenic.
Saturday Camping is included at the Drift-In Bar & Grill, right on the Arkansas River.
Or you could grab a hotel room in Salida or Poncha Springs.
On Day 2 both loops end up at a private campground on the Big Bend of the Arkansas River.
- Where you can Camp at the Drift-In Bar & Grill, or if you choose, stay in a hotel room.
Day 3 is Off-road from Salida, around the back side (Westside) of Pikes Peak.
- Off-road to the old railroad line in Elevenmile Canyon and along the South Platte River.
- Off-road down Rampart Range road to Old Colorado City
- Day 3 you have option of riding through the Garden of the Gods or riding up Pikes Peak
These are Epic routes on little known Passes you would not typically do on your own.
- You have the option to Camp both nights
- Or stay in a Glamping Cabin at the Sand Dunes Hot Springs on Friday, and to stay in a hotel Saturday night.
- Or camp at a private campground right on the Arkansas River on Saturday.
Ride your Motorcycle through a little known National Park and enjoy:
- No Crowds
- No hassle
- No Stop Lights
- Gear Portage (Tent, cot, sleeping bag, ice chest)
- Hot Springs on Day 1
- Tent camping or a Glamping Cabin
- Camping on the Arkansas river on Day 2
- Good food and High Adventure with like-minded enthusiasts.
- Bar & restaurant on site at both camping locales.
- The Club will also transport a community Ice Chest, BBQ, Grill and Utensils
- Secure Truck parking at the Colorado Springs Airport ($8/day x 3 days)
On Day 1, from the Colorado Springs Airport, ride your Adventure motorcycle around Pikes Peak on spectacular Adventure bike suitable route.
- On old railroad lines to a Gold mine near the old mining town of Cripple Creek,
- Then down another outstanding old Railroad line in a canyon to Canon City.
- To over a Pass to the Oak Creek Grade to the old mining town of Silvercliffe.
From Silvercliffe, ride down the Wet Mtn Valley to over 10k foot Medano Pass to the Great Sand Dunes Jeep Road.
- Through 9 Creek crossings on Medano Creek, to the Great Sand Dunes National Park and then to the Sand Dunes Hot Springs.
Or on the Alternate easier route, by-pass the Sand, and ride over dirt Pass Creek Pass to paved La Veta Pass.
- Ride around Mt. Blanca to the Great Sand Dunes National Park.
- Then onto the Sand Dunes Hot Springs.
Camp, Soak and eat & drink at the restaurant at the Sand Dunes Hot Springs on Day 1.
On the Great Sand Dunes Hot Springs Adventure Ride, we do Not ride into the Dunes.
- We Ride around the back of the Great Sand Dunes on a Jeep Road from 10,000 Foot Medano Pass.
- The Great Sand Dunes are a National Monument, and you cannot ride in the Dunes.
- Instead, we ride over the 2-track pass and around the back of Dunes on a sandy Jeep road.
- Then visit the Great Sand Dunes, and ride to the Sand Dunes Hot Springs Pool.
Alternate route descriptions:
Off-Road tires are required to ride over Medano Pass and into the back of the Sand Dunes.
- The Challenging routes on this ride are suitable for a large Adventure bike with off-road tires and a rider with some skills.
- If you don’t show up with off-road tires, or are concerned with your sand riding skills, choose the alternate route.
- You can skip Medano Pass.
- Day 2 there is an Alternate route that avoids semi difficult sections on Ute Pass and the Otto Mears Toll road.
- These Alternate easier routes make this ride suitable for Novice riders or Pan American Harley’s or Himalayan’s.
- Or anyone who doesn’t want to ride in the Sand or Rocks !
Please see these Links for more Info and photos of the Great Sand Dunes Hot Springs Adventure :