Why should you care about old railroads?
Exit Tours MC uses the majority of these old Railroad Right-of-Ways to traverse the Rocky Mountains.
COLORADO RAIL HISTORY LINKS
Great Colorado Railroad history on this page:
- Specific info on the Tennessee Pass, Poncha Junction, Maysville, Monarch & Monarch Pass and Marshall Pass sections of the Denver, Rio Grande & Western.
- The Valley line thru the San Luis Valley to Alamosa. Salida.
- The Royal Gorge and the Denver to Pueblo Mainline.
- Some History on the Colorado Midland Railroad, which includes dome interesting facts on Hagerman Pass.
- A brief history on the Colorado Springs & Cripple Creek District Railroad and short link on the Florence & Cripple Creek Railroad up Phantom Canyon.
- A Link to the Denver, Southpark & Pacifistic Historical Society and a Wikpedia link on the DSP&P
- Good article on Salida’s and Chaffee Counties Railroad History.
Some of the Old Railroad Passes we ride in the Heart of the Rockies Include:
- The Alpine Tunnel Loop, which remains the highest Railroad tunnel ever bored thru the Rocky Mountains.
- Marshall Pass, the first Railroad line over the Continental Divide.
- Trout Creek Pass, which hosted both the Denver, South Park & Pacific and the Colorado Midland Railroads.
- Hagerman Pass between Aspen and Leadville
- The Colorado Midland from Buena Vista
- The Colorado Midland from Woodland Park
- The Colorado Midland in 11 Mile Canyon
- The Cripple Creek & Victor Line which was turned in Goldcamp Road
- The Florence & Cripple Creek Line that was turned into Phantom Canyon
- The Monarch Spur
- The Chili Line in Northern New Mexico
- The Gun Barrel over Poncha Pass
LINKS TO HISTORICAL RAILROAD INFO around the Crossroads of the Rockies from:
DENVER & RIO GRANDE.NET
You will have the opportunity to ride on or over most of these historical Rail Lines.
1926 Granite Train Wreck on the Tennessee Pass
DENVER & RIO GRANDE.NET LINKS
Heart on the Sign signifies your in the Heart of the Rockies
- The Denver, South Park & Pacific Historical Society