FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: WHAT DO I NEED TO GET STARTED?
A sense of adventure and common sense.
Exit Tours MC Club Rides are DUAL SPORT, SINGLETRACK & ADVENTURE RIDES
- X-Roads are 3-5 day non-competitive rides that consists of as much dirt and the least amount of pavement as possible.
- Any Competent Rider can Join Exit Tours MC. There are no invitations required.
- These rides are intended for street-legal, plated, insured, quiet motorcycles that are capable of being ridden on dirt roads, two-track, jeep roads, singletrack trails and pavement.
- Download the GPS tracks and use your phone or use the Electronic Cue-sheet on your phone for the tracks of the loops you wish to follow.
- You ride what you wish. Dual Sport, Singletrack or Adventure loops. We ask that you check out before you leave in the morning and let us know which loop you are riding on the check-out sheet. Check-in on the same sheet when you return.
- Ride with GPS club membership is included with your Exit Tours Club membership.
- WE WORK TO MINIMIZE PAVEMENT MILEAGE, maximize scenery and fun, and generally only use paved roads as necessary to tie dirt loops together and access amenities.
- We suggest dirt orientated dual sport motorcycles on the Dual Sport loops and plated dirt bikes on the Singletrack loops.
- Any motorcycle event comes down to the rider’s skill level and the type of tires installed. If you have the wrong tires your skill level won’t really matter, you’ll struggle regardless. We suggest starting with a new front knobby and a hybrid knobby rear tire.
- X-Roads is a “low-key, high adventure, no hassle” self-guided tour, using GPS Tracks or a GPS Track Cue Sheet roll chart to navigate an unmarked route.
- GPS Tracks, maps and Cue sheets will be emailed before the rides.
Q: WHO IS INVITED:
- Any Competent Rider with a street legal Dual Sport, plated dirt bike or Adventure Motorcycle.
- Club Motorcycle rides in the Heart of the Rocky Mountains and in the West.
- Various Dates throughout the summer
- Various Locations
Q: WHAT IS THE COST?
- Club Membership is $399 in 2021 and includes your first ride. 2nd and Subsequent rides are $199. Anyone you share a Last Name with may ride with a Club Member for $199.
- Rides may Include:
- Dual Sport, Singletrack and ADV loops you couldn’t follow on a map.
- GPS Tracks compatible with your phone.
- GPS Cue sheets.
- Camping may or may not be included.
- Some Meals are typically included
- Exit Tours MC Club membership.
- Ride with GPS Club Membership
- Chase Truck
- Chase Riders
- Free Coffee.
- Participant pin.
- Hand Washing Stations
- Porta-Potties on-site.
- Local support.
- Trailer hook-ups if available are extra.
Q.HOW DO THINGS START?
- Sign the release, pick up your rider packet.
- We will have emailed GPS tracks and maps.
- GPS Tracks for Warm up loops are will be available.
- We will usually have an included Dinner and a campfire on most evenings.
- Riders meeting in the morning at 7 and 8 am.
- You only need attend one meeting each morning.
Q: DO I HAVE TO BE A CLUB MEMBER?
- Yes. Your Membership is included with your first ride.
- There is no qualifying or probation period to become an Exit Tours Motorcycle Club member and there are no required meetings or work days associated with your membership — just sign-up and ride!
Q: WHAT KIND OF HAZARDS EXIST?
- Hazards do exist on our routes: Such as downed trees, washouts, rocks, etc. and will NOT be marked in any fashion.
- All routes are publicly-accessible, so you may encounter other riders and traffic.
- Riders need to use caution and common sense at all times and stay to the right when possible.
- Particularly around blind turns.
- Remember vehicles heading uphill have the right-of-way.
Q: WHAT TYPE OF MOTORCYCLE SHOULD I RIDE?
- Factory off road orientated Dual Sport, plated Off-Road Motorcycles or Adventure bikes will work best.
- You should have current registration for your bike, proof of insurance, and a Colorado OHV sticker in Colorado.
- ADV loops are laid out for 650cc + Motorcycles and include more pavement than the Dual Sport routes.
- A GPS Unit or compatible cell phone or GPS Unit is required to navigate the routes. Or ride with someone you trust.
Q: HOW LONG IS EACH DAY’S RIDE?
- Ride length varies from 60 to 140 miles.
- Some of the Adventure Loops are 300+ miles with an overnight stop.
- See this Link for Dual Sport, Singletrack and ADV Loop Maps
- There are options to jump on the pavement on most routes and head back.
- These options can be clearly marked on the ride map which is not suitable for trail navigation.
Q: FUEL RANGE AND FUEL STOPS?
- Approximately 80 miles between fuel stops.
- Fuel is available for purchase at gas stations along almost every route.
- If a route route does not have fuel available, arrangements can be made to drop fuel on the route beforehand.
- We suggest you carry an Aluminum water bottle if you don’t have a big tank.
Q: WHAT’S THE WEATHER LIKE IN AUGUST?
- The best time of year to visit the area for warm-weather activities is mid-August.
- Daily High temperatures in August from 78°F to 74°F, rarely falling below 67°F or exceeding 85°F.
- Daily Low temperatures in August from 51°F to 47°F, rarely falling below 41°F or exceeding 56°F.
- The chance of humidity is essentially constant during August, remaining around 0% throughout.
- The wetter season lasts 4.3 months, from April 30 to September 9, with a greater than 19% chance of any given day being a wet day.
Q: WHY ARE YOU GUYS DOING THIS?
- The time is right before we’re all too old to pull something like this off.
- Chaffee County, Colorado in the Heart of the Rocky Mountains really does have Epic dirt roads, 2 track and singletrack trails, few whoops, high-altitude Rocky Mountain passes and spectacular scenery.
Q: CAN I BRING MY FAMILY?
- You can certainly bring your family for a Rocky Mountain vacation.
- There are Jeep rentals from Rocky Mountain Jeep Rentals, Horseback riding, River rafting, Zip lines, and Mountain bike rentals and trails.
- Also, hiking, river and lake fishing, and epic vistas.
- See this link for Guest Entertainment: https://advtours.com/guest-entertainment/
Q: HOW SHOULD I SET UP MY MOTORCYCLE?
- Well, there are quite a few rocks, they are called the Rocky Mountains for a reason. The mean elevation of Chaffee County is 7,000+ feet. You will ride over 11,000 feet on most routes.
- Jetting for altitude or riding something with EFI.
- We recommend a knobby front and a hybrid knobby rear tire.
- Checking your air pressure once you got here.
- Running tire air pressure little higher than normal.
- Skid plate.
- Disc guards.
- Hand guards.
- Distance between gas stops is not expected to be much more than 80 miles.
- Carry extra fuel in an Aluminum bottle if you do not have a big tank.
- ADV bikes aggressive tires are a good idea. We wouldn’t suggest trying the challenging loops without one.
- 50/50 tires will not work well. Trust us on this.
SEE THIS LINK FOR RIDE PREP
Q: Do I need any Special OHV Stickers ?
- Yes. See this link to OHV Regulations for info on how to purchase a Colorado OHV sticker.
Q: HOW CAN I GET TO THE START?
- You can tent camp or stay in an RV or stay at a hotel and ride your motorcycle to the staging area.
- Drive your truck and trailer to the staging area and unload there in the morning.
- Leave your truck & trailer at the Staging area if you choose to stay elsewhere. Ride your motorcycle to your lodging.
Q: WHERE DO WE MEET ?
- Please check-in the day before the start and pick up your ride package.
- We will meet for a riders meeting at 7 am and at 8 am at the staging area every morning
- Please check-in at the Sign-In in the mornings before you leave so we know you are on the trail.
Q: WHAT HAPPENS AT THE DAYS FINISH?
- Please check-in when you finish, so we know you are in.
- Come back and hang out, and enjoy the bonfire, and the camaraderie of like-minded enthusiasts..
- **IMPORTANT** Please check-out on the sign-out sheet before you leave in the morning and check back-in when you finish for the day.
- We will a fire near the staging area in the evening.
Q: HOW DO I NAVIGATE THE ROUTE?
- These are not a guided tours; you will navigate by following GPS Tracks or a Roll Chart you print from the GPS Que sheet. Pre-printed maps not suitable for navigation are available for you to print to give you a general idea of the route.
- Maps are not suitable for navigation. Ride with someone you trust that is familiar with GPS .
- We suggest having your own GPS Unit or a compatible phone and odometer.
- NAVIGATION LINK HERE: https://advtours.com/navigation-safety/
Q: WHAT IS THE BUDDY SYSTEM?
- It is what can save your life! If you were riding alone and got off the route and then got hurt, you may not be missed until the end of the day.
- For this reason we must insist that riders use the buddy system.
- Obviously 2 (or 3) riders that enter together will be buddies (4 or more should split into pairs).
- Team up with others and watch out for each other.
BUDDY RIDING PROTOCOL –
- Don’t lose sight of your buddy
- Don’t make a major turn unless you know your buddy will also. Wait at major turns.
- If buddies get separated, both go back to the last place they saw each other
Q: WHAT IF I ENTER ALONE?
- We prefer that you enter with at least one friend but if you do come alone, we will have a sign up sheet where you can write your cell number if you haven’t found a buddy before the ride. You should pair with another rider as your buddy. Buddies may be changed after the 1st day if not well matched. .
Q: WHAT MODEL BIKE IS BEST?
- Riders should be happy with XR250s through 690 KTM’s to 1250 BMWs.
- We Do NOT suggest small factory dual sports < 250cc.
- Remember everywhere you will be riding is well over 1 mile up or higher.
- The prime considerations are comfort and reliability.
Q: WHAT ABOUT SPARE PARTS?
- You should bring a reasonable amount of spare parts (like a pre-oiled air filter). We will have spare front and rear tires and tubes for sale in case someone destroys one, but most people should be able to complete the ride without changing tires.
Q: DO I NEED ANY SPECIAL EQUIPMENT TO NAVIGATE?
- You should have a GPS unit or a compatible phone and an odometer.
- You will need to Download the RIDE With GPS App for your Phone
- NAVIGATION LINK HERE: https://advtours.com/navigation-safety/
Q: WHO SERVICES MY BIKE?
- You should be able to fix your own flats on the trail and service your bike at the end of the day.
- Every rider should carry a spare tube (front works in rear); tire irons, hand pump, and/or air bottles.
- You must be able to fix your bike on the trail or be towed by your buddy to a Highway where you can be picked up.
- You should be able to tow your buddy if he cannot fix his bike.
- Every rider should carry a tow strap.
Q: IS IT IMPORTANT TO CARRY A CELL PHONE?
- Yes, it’s important to carry your cell phone.
- We highly recommend the use of a satellite-operated tracking and rescue device such as a SPOT – since you will often be out of cell phone range.
- A Spot Find-me is an inexpensive investment that can save your life.
Q: DOES THE RIDE INCLUDE ANY HEALTHCARE COVERAGE?
- No, it does not. We highly recommend you obtain appropriate healthcare insurance before participating in any rides.
Q: WILL THERE BE OUTRIDERS?
- There may be Outriders. If you need a shortcut to the finish or have questions along the way. Outriders will ‘Point’ the way.
- But they should NOT be considered “sweep” riders: They are not medics, will not be available to fix bikes or change flats, nor will they have extra parts.
- If you get stranded on any loop, we will of course do whatever we can to bail you out.
Q: WHAT IS THE REFUND POLICY?
- There are NO REFUNDS
- If you withdraw before a ride your payment for shared group expense amenities will be forfeited or MAY be transferred to another rider.
- A $20 Fee @ Sign-In will be required for Rider Changes.
- If Exit Tours Motorcycle Club cancels a ride we will make all attempts to provide an equivalent ride on an alternate date. If we do this then your prepaid shared group expense payment may be transferred to the new ride date, or if you cannot attend the new date, a 100% refund for shared group expenses will apply less PayPal Fees.
- Our rides are all-weather. If two or more riders participate the ride will not be cancelled, regardless of weather conditions, and refunds will not be given for shared group expense amenities. Nor will they be transferred to another ride or rider.
Q: WHERE WILL I GET GAS and WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW?
- You will need Cash or a CC to buy your gas at the gas stations and meals on the loops
- Gas is available on most every loop
- Bottled water will be available
- Porta-Potties will be on-site.
- Exit Tours Motorcycle Club rides are not competitions, nor are trophies awarded.
- All participants are on their own, riding at their own pace, at their own risk, and always have the option to follow the designated route or to follow another route of their choosing.
- See this Xtra Curricular PDF Link for maps to Fishing and Hot Springs.
Old School Honda ADV Rider