Rocky Mountains Passes in the Heart of the Rockies
High mountain passes you can ride the Heart of the Rockies are in the following mountain ranges:
- The Sawatch Range (Continental Divide) which divides the Arkansas River Valley and the Colorado River Headwaters.
- The Mosquito Range which divides the Arkansas and South Platte River.
- The Sangre de Cristo Range which divides the Rio Grande and the Arkansas rivers.
- The Northern San Juan’s, which are the headwaters watershed of the Rio Grande River.
(Click to View Images)
- The Crossroads of the Rockies are Hwy 285 & 50 in Poncha Springs and Hwy’s 24 & 285 in Buena Vista, in south central Colorado.
- The white X on the map is the Chaffee County Fairgrounds..
- Chaffee County is home to more 14 thousand foot peaks than any other county in North America.
- Black Sage.
- Old Monarch.
- Mosquito Pass.
- Trout Creek.
- Ute Pass.
- Otto Mears Toll-Road
All of these passes could be negotiated by any competent rider on a properly set up ADV motorcycle.